Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fabric Marbling and Sun Prints


     Last Sunday afternoon I decided to dye some fabric using some new colors I had just received.  I placed an order for procion dye from Dharma Trading (no pictures of those yet).  It was a good day to be out in the garage.  If I hadn't said it before... I do all my dying out in the garage because I am messy.  Spills happen.  When I went out, there was all my stuff for the marbling.  So I decided to do that first.  Here are the pictures.  this time I used my watered down fabric paints.  It gives a softer hand to the fabrics and they are more pastel.  



This was printed on a very pale yellow fabric.

This was printed on white fabric.

          

I wanted to see what dye would do... hmmm not really happy with it.
Stick to paint.

On Monday, last week, our Explorers group got together and did sun printing using Setacolor paint.
I had forgotten my camera, or I would have posted pictures of us all and our work.  We hd so much fun playing with the paint and making sun prints, that the time just flew by.  Below are the ones I did.  Some more successful than others.  



The objects that didn't print well were 3-D and didn't have a good "footprint".

I used some salt on this one.  The believe and Love are blocks of wood about 1/2 " thick.
Up in the right hand corner, was a stamp I put down of flowers on clear acrylic.  I love the way it came out, but
it was so unexpected that it is so wavy and not a copy of the flowers.  The small flowers and circles
are pre cut self stick foam shapes, and the rose is from a charm.  (no I did not stick the foam shapes on the fabric, I just placed them there.)

Here I hooped the fabric, painted it, put sequins of various shapes on it, then threw on some rice.
We all loved how the rice prints came out.

This had sequin waste, three feathers (one blew off), a brass stencil and salt.

This one was my least successful, for two reasons.  First the colors needed to be more intense, and
second, the materials I put down, artificial greenery, did not lay flat enough.

That's it for now,
Sew see you later.
Bette

No comments:

Post a Comment