Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Dyeing continued day 2

This scarf was mostly done on Sunday.  Here you see it with all the wax removed.
I felt it needed some detail as the trees lost some definition as the soy wax
didn't resist as well as I would have liked.

I was reading one of my silk painting books about things that can be added to
the silk fabric to keep it from bleeding when painting it.  There were several things I could use,
the easiest being hair spray.  Imagine that hairspray!!!

Here is a close up.  I used a fine point sharpie marker.
It now needs to be washed again to get the hairspray out.
On Sunday I had begun this scarf by dyeing the edges yellow.
Today I added the wax.  This time I used all paraffin wax.

I mixed up a medium blue with a touch of Turquoise.
 I put the entire scarf in the dye bath and let it sit for almost two hours.

Here it is after rinsing it out until the water was clear.
I need to remove the wax next (another day).
This is what I used to melt my wax.  I keep water in the electric fry pan so that there is
less chance of the wax getting too hot and catching on fire.  The can on the top is a mix of paraffin and soy wax,  same with the one on the right, at the bottom is pure soy wax, and the one on the left is pure paraffin.

The scarf is stretched on a frame.  Putting the wax on the silk.

I was having so much fun batiking I had to start another scarf.
This time I waxed the white scarf with leaves and stems, to be colored later.

I decided to change my color scheme.

     
After rinsing out the scarf.  When dry it will be ready for the second layer of wax.
Ahh yes another day.

Sew see you later,
Bette







No comments:

Post a Comment